In this introduction to Community Schemes we take six easy steps into life in a community scheme in South Africa, and the implications thereof for owners and tenants. We look at the need for awareness and self-and other compassion amongst owners.
In all probably the most under-estimated aspect of community scheme ownership is living as part of a community. Owners often do not understand the impact and implications of having community members above, below and on each side of them, separated from them by a brick wall approximately 14cm in width. In this short pogram we take six easy steps into life in a community scheme and we look at what makes that life possible.
Expected Outcomes of the Introduction to the Community Schemes
1. Know the various forms of community schemes;
2. Understand what a sectional title scheme and an homeowners’ association is, and how these schemes are financed;
3. Understand your rights and position as purchaser into these schemes;
4. Understand your basics rights and duties as owner of a unit in a sectional scheme or homeowners’ association as a member of a body corporate;
5. Understand the management structure of a sectional scheme and homeowners’ association and how these schemes are managed;
6. Understand the role of the Trustee;
7. Understand the role of the Managing Agent;
8. Have a basic understanding of the legislation and legal governance relating to sectional titles and homeowners’ association, and understand the role of the Community Schemes Ombud Service.
The Learning platform is modern and easy to use made available on 360smartly.com.
The author is an attorney and holds BA LLB, B Com and LL M degrees, as well as a post-graduate diploma in International Relations (Vienna) and a Certificate in Mediation (Mediate.com). He is the co-founder of 360smartly.com, the Free State Institute for Mindfulness (fsmindfulness.co.za) and is Director of Inner Zone (Pty) Ltd.
The author manages the 360smartly.com learning platform and is especially interested in the value that Mindfulness has in improving human relations and resolving conflict. Two of the courses featured at 360smartly.com by co-founder, Dr Mariki Smith, are the ABC of Mindful Educators and Six Steps to the Joy of Nowness.
Cover Photo: Robin Benzrihem- Unsplash.com